You are the director of safety and security at a major manufacturing plant. The plant has 1,800 workers and runs three shifts a day. The night shift has about 400 workers on it and runs from midnight to 8:00 AM. The security supervisor for the night shift reports to you that there are some unusual activities going on during the night shift involving three of the younger male employees. You decide that you will visit the plant during the night shift to observe this behavior for yourself.
The night you arrive, you realize that you know one of the three young men involved, and he has always been a good worker and a very serious person. You note right away that all three men have an extraordinarily high energy level. They are having a hard time settling down at their assembly points on the line. They are whooping and hollering all the time over the noise of the shop. They are aggressive to the point of pushing other employees around physically. You notice extreme cases of acne and body odor on all three men when you walk by them. Their eyes are glassy and dilated.
At their 3:30 AM lunch break, they cross the street to an all-night diner. You notice that they sit with a man wearing a motorcycle jacket with local gang colors. They do not eat, but only have coffee. You see them pay cash to the man with the jacket and he hands one of the three men a small package. When the man with the motorcycle jacket leaves, he mounts a motorcycle and rides off. The three men go to the men’s bathroom in the diner. They are in the bathroom for almost 10 minutes. When they come out, they are boisterous, agitated, and overly animated with their movements.
In your paper, answer the following questions based on the scenario in a 10-12 paper:
- How does the drug use in this company affect the coworkers, safety, and company production?
- What is the likely drug being abused by the three workers under suspicion?
- Why did that drug get identified?
- Would it be better to involve the police immediately? Why or why not?
- Should you refer the workers to the Employee Assistance Program? Explain your decision.
- Does the association of the motorcycle gang with the company workers impact the company?
- Why type of liability could the company face if it does not take definitive action concerning this situation?
It is critical that, when you make a statement of fact in your presentation, you cite the reference that you used to obtain the information from. Do this in the text of the paper, and then include the reference in your References page. As always, your paper will be submitted in the current edition of APA format. No abstract is required because this is a short position paper, but a title page, reference page, and appropriate running header with page numbers are necessary.