Now that you understand basic search techniques and the differences between personal and scholarly research, it’s time to try out what you’ve learned.
For this assignment, select a topic that you might want to use for a term paper. (If you are writing a term paper for another class, feel free to use that topic.)
- Using your favorite search engine, search for information on this topic. If you don’t have a favorite, Google is a good choice.
- Select one of the results and take some notes on the content.
- Save a screen shot of this website and paste it into a new Word document. The screen shot should show the top of your screen. For assistance on taking screen shots, click here (However, if you know how to use the Snippet tool, you can do that instead of using the Print Screen (prtscn) button but be sure to catch the top so the search shows.)
- Below the screen shot, type in the name of your topic as the title.
- Below the title, in one or two paragraphs, describe the information that you found. (Save your notes; you will need them for the next assignment)
- Check spelling and grammar and save the file.