Applying Scientific Methods
For this assignment, you will use what you have learned throughout this unit to complete this worksheet. Reply to all of the questions, and then submit the completed worksheet to be graded.
1. What is the plate tectonic theory? Explain the types of plate boundaries, and provide 1 example for each type of plate boundary.
2. Visit the USGS Advanced National Seismic Station (ANSS) list of ANSS stations at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/monitoring/operations/network.php?virtual_network=ANSS. Identify the station closest to where you live. You can use the “Ctrl + F” command to search for a state name if you do not want to scroll through the whole list. Remember though, that a station in a bordering state may be physically closest to you.
Provide the following:
Name of station
Latitude and longitude
Distance from you (in miles)
Date station commenced operation (year, day of year)
3. Now visit the USGA Earthquake Fault Map at: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/qfaults/map/#qfaults. Find the approximate location of your ANSS station on the map. Click on a colored line closest to your station (this is a fault). A pop-up window should appear. Use it to provide the following information:
Name of the fault
Age of the fault
Slip rate (this is how fast one side of the fault moves past the other)
4. How do geologists determine the age of a fault line? What types of evidence specifically are used?
5. Now, visit the National Geographic MapMaker Interactive Plate Tectonic map at: http://mapmaker.nationalgeographic.org/3HAuN6mlVI6HWdsaiPJ8Z/. Be sure you are on the “Plate Tectonics” map. Provide the following:
Name of the plate on which you live
Closest neighboring plate(s) to you
6. Lastly, use the interactive map found here: https://www.learner.org/interactives/dynamicearth/plate.html. Use the map identify the type of plate boundaries that are present between your plate and the closest neighbor(s) you identified.
“Place this order or a similar order with Essay Writers 4Life and get an amazing discount”