Discussion Question Step 1 Post a response to the discussion board.
Respond to the following questions and, if it’s relevant, include your own personal experience:
- Think about an instance (or several instances) when you were extremely anxious and nervous about having to make a public presentation. This presentation could be a formal speech, an oral report, introducing someone to a group, or even simply speaking up in a group.
- What steps did you take to decrease your apprehension?
- What worked? What did not work? Save as Speech Week 1 DQ 1 _____________________________________________________________________________________________ Assignment
Information in Chapter 1 – E-book attached Using your course materials and the Internet, research an event during which an intended message was delivered successfully. The event could be based on fact or fiction. For example, perhaps you watched one of the President’s speeches on television, or maybe you watched a movie in which a character delivers an effective speech. Write a short summary of the event that includes the following information:
- Type of event
- The setting of the event (where, when, and so on)
- The audience for the communication
- Main goal of the message being delivered
The purpose of the summary is to aid you to complete the paper in Step 2.
Step 2 Describe the public speaking elements in the event.
In a one- to two-page (250- to 500-word) paper, address following elements of communication observed during the event:
- Speaker – The person delivering the message in a communication process
- Message -The information being communicated
- Listener – The receiver of the intended message
- Feedback – The response to the message provided to the speaker by the listener
- Channel – The method used to communicate the message
- Environment – The occasion and physical setting for the communication
- Noise – Distractions that inhibit the successful completion of the message delivery
- Encoder – The speaker, who selects the symbols to carry the message
- Decoder – The listener, who attaches meaning to the symbols received
Step 3 Highlight communication success.
Write a paragraph that describes the public speaking elements that played the biggest roles in making the communication successful. Explain why these elements worked so well.
Step 4 Save file as >>> Public Speaking Week 1 Assignment 1